Saturday 31 August 2019

New Aurora Season

A new Aurora season kicked off for me on Friday. An Aurora had been seen by a few folk a couple of days before but we were clouded out.



We arrived back from a concert at 23.15pm and I checked Shetland Aurora Hunter on facebook to find a number of people had seen the Aurora starting up. It was also showing on the webcam.




I had my kit pack ready for action, so collected this and headed down to Sandsayre. With nobody about I found it strange that the Mousa waiting room still had lights on.




I was using the Samyang 14mm F2.4 XP lens for the first time with an Aurora. The moon was only at 1% and it was still with only a small amount of cloud so near perfect conditions.




The Aurora was clearly visible to the naked eye and was expanding, I could see some green. Others may see more colour, everyone is different



Setting up the camera near the jetty I took a test shot and a large amount of green and purple was showing.



This new lens is the easiest one I have had and can easily focus in the dark.



I always look for new foreground which I think is essential to any night sky photo. Basically the more you can find at one location the better. That's why it is essential to visit during daylight and start to plan your photos.



Around 00.30am it started to cloud over. Looking at other photos taken further north it stayed clear for much longer when most of the high activity occurred.



On Saturday an Orange alert was given around 14.00pm, no good for us as it was daylight
Saturday night, a more active Aurora occurred but as usual cloud had been present all day and all night so no chance of getting any photos.



As the nights pull in the Aurora will start to appear even earlier



No comments:

Post a Comment